Why Social Media Is Important
Social media is a strategic marketing tool for businesses. What was once perceived as a ‘fashionable and trendy’ form of marketing is now serious business and marketing companies are always on their toes in order to keep up with the ever-changing industry.
Why is Social Media important for Online Marketing?
If you use social media effectively then it can form a comprehensive and strategic marketing plan. As social media continues to grow, it is no secret that social media will become increasing important to businesses.
For several years now, search engines have integrated social signals into their ranking algorithm, which means ‘likes, shares, retweets, repins etc’ are now being considered and valued by Google. Content that is widely shared is likely to have engaged users and is therefore deserving of increased online visibility.
Social Media Checklist
Social media can help achieve your online marketing goals in a variety of ways. Here is a basic checklist of how you can use social media daily to improve website performance:
Tip: Before you start using social media more proactively, complete a social media audit
- Create a new piece of content – make sure it delivers genuine value to your target audience
- Share content with community sites including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+ etc
- Share with social sites including Reddit.com, Stumbleupon and Digg.com
- Post interesting topics relevant to your target audience
- Encourage users to share, like and comment on your posts
- Promote your posts to relevant people to spread your content
- Do not post for the sake of it
- Follow new people every week and retweet things relevant to your audience
- Tweets can be news related, funny, promotional or business-related
Read our guide to using Twitter with examples from the world of comedy.
- Follow new people regularly and engage with images you like
- Post on no more than three primary topics to achieve consistency
- Stick to one visual style – don’t get carried away with fancy filters
Read our guide to Managing a Business Instagram account
- Create visually engaging boards relevant to your business and your target audience
- Pin fun and interesting images/infographics
Read our guide to Pinterest for Business
- Share content with your circles, setting your posts to ‘public’ to reach maximum users
- Grow your circles with people and businesses that are relevant to your business
- Create relevant and high quality collections
- Post relevant blog posts in groups in which you belong
- Follow new companies, even your own competitors to see what they’re up to
- Update your company status if there are any new exciting developments occurring
- Make sure your videos are related to your business, but don’t make them boring. Add a little fun and expect to see an increase in viewers
- Share your videos with community and social bookmarking sites
- Use social media to promote them
The Future of Social Media
Social media will continue to evolve and influence internet marketing. The big players include visual social networks, such as Instagram, SnapChat and Periscope.
Could there be a brand new social media platform on the block?
Is your business staying ahead of the game?
Seeing the kind of influence social media has, and its value for your business, you should align your social media marketing with other activities in order to improve your business performance. Find out about how Digirank approach social media as part of our process.